Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Changes in I-AA coming soon


Matt Dougherty of The Sports Network has a long article on the NCAA meeting scheduled for this Thursday. It's worth a read.

The NCAA committee has a lot on its plate. Likely are several changes to the I-AA division intended to make it a more attractive place.

The committee is considering:
  1. Changing the nomenclature of Div I football to two parts. The new titles will be "Bowl Division (the old I-A) and the "Championship Division" (the old I-AA)
  2. Enhancements to the Championship game (more money)
  3. Allow all Division I teams to play 12 games per season
My take:

All the enhancements seem to make sense. The big attraction of I-AA football is the fact that the national championship is won on the field. I believe that marketing the division as Championship football can only add interest and TV exposure.

I am also in favor of 12 games. The pros are older and fatter than college players and they play 16 games. Adding a sure 6th home game would increase UMass' revenue 16% in one shot.

Update 04/28/06: Without explanation, the NCAA did not pass the 12 games extension and delayed implementation of the division name changes. Looks like we're stuck in I-AA for a while yet...