Friday, June 23, 2006

OOC Scheduling Part III

In posts of 06/17 and 06/18 we discussed OOC (out-of-conference) scheduling. I noted that Maine was at a disadvantage because they were only were playing 10 games this year.

Well, Maine has added a 11th game. They are playing Shaw University (DII) on 09/23/06.

This adds more revenue on season tickets, but does nothing for making the playoffs. When I-A teams such as Navy play I-AA teams such as UMass, a Navy win counts towards Bowl eligibility.

The reverse is not true. When I-AA teams play DII teams the win does not count towards the playoffs (the minimum number of I-AA wins is seven).

The desirability of OOC schedules are as follows:
  1. Three beatable I-AA teams (such as Townson playing Morgan State, Elon and Liberty). Towson needs only four wins in the A10 to be playoff eligible.
  2. Two beatable I-AA team and big money game against a I-A team (such as William & Mary playing Maryland, VMI and Liberty). Two sure wins and $$$ for the athletic budget.
  3. One beatable I-AA team, one good I-A team and a money I-A game. (such as UMass' playing Stony Brook, Colgate and Navy). Good for the fans to see a playoff caliber I-AA team, but UMass will see plenty of potential playoff teams in the A10*
  4. Multiple DII teams, two I-A teams or multiple playoff caliber I-AA teams (see last year's Northeastern schedule)
*Contrast UMass' schedule with I-AA power Georgia Southern. The eagles play a two game schedule of Applachian State (12-3) and Furman (11-3). The Eagles outclass the rest of their schedule. Georgia Southern should go 9-2 and are a lock to get a home playoff game unless their recent coaching change messes them up. The road to the playoffs in the A10 is much tougher.