Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Guest Blog-- Eagle in Altanta

Last year this Blog and and Navy Blog "Pitch Right" swapped guest blog posts.

This year I did a guest post on the excellent Boston College Blog "Eagle in Atlanta". Now that Blog answers some questions for us.

1. My first question concerns a matter in which I cheerfully admit
that I was wrong. I thought BC would struggle in the ACC. To what do you attribute Boston College's success?

-- I think there are a couple of factors. We've had a couple of our best teams at a time of great parity in the conference. FSU and Miami have both been down. Wake Forest has been up. NC State, Maryland and Virginia have been all over the place in our three years as ACC members. It has provided a great opportunity for BC. Unfortunately we've fallen short of the ultimate goal of winning it all, but I think we can get there.Even after the super powers revert to their old form there is no reason why BC cannot be a competitive bowl team every year in the ACC. We have the tradition, recruiting niche and facilities to do it.

2. UMass and BC recruit heavily in New England. UMass tried hard to
recruit Ron Brace, your outstanding DT from Worcester for example. Do
you think BC will have to do more national recruiting and less in this area?

We've always had a mix of New England kids and kids from Jersey and the midwest. I think with the ACC move, you'll see a mix of more southern kids, but BC will never abandon New England football. First because BC has a major advantage in our sales pitch over schools like UMass (no offense). BC is in a major conference and a great city.One reason to keep a foothold in New England is that the New England recruits tend to be underrated. Then there is the supposed Patriot effect. The theory is that participation in New England youth football has exploded over the past 10 years. If this is true, this whole area will become a much more fertile recruiting territory over the next few years. BC, UMass, and all other New England schools should see a benefit from that.


3. In 1998, UMass went into the playoffs ranked #11 nationally.
That's just about where BC is ranked this year. In the playoffs, UMass ended up meeting the #2 and #1 teams------and son-of-gun, those teams did not win. With Matt Ryan and your current team, if BCS/I-A had a playoff, how far would the 2007 Eagles go?

I wish we had a playoff. Not because of the talent this year...I just think it is the best format to determine a champion in football. I do think this BC team has enough talent to beat anyone on any night.Fortunately we have the ACC Championship game and BC can play our way into it. It is not a true playoff, but it enables BC to aim for something and win a championship on the field, not in the polls.But I am doing my best not to get ahead of myself...I've been a BC fan too long and know better. For now I just want to get by Umass avoid the embarrassment Michigan went through.

4. Who do you think will win Saturday and why?

I respect UMass and think you guys could beat plenty of DIA teams. I don't think you'll beat BC. Army did you guys no favors by scaring us last week. That got everyone's attention. Second, your style (running on offense, blitz on defense) plays to BC's strength. You're like a Georgia Tech with 20 less scholarships. I think BC controls and wins 42-20.

High quality fan blogs are rare. Remember to follow Boston College football news on "Eagle in Atlanta"

UPDATE: If you want to see the norm for BCS/I-A blogs consider next year's BCS/I-A fan blog from Texas Tech "Double-T Nation". In today's post he's stating that he's boycotting Saturday's game against FCS/I-AA team Northwestern State because they're I-AA. Guess I won't be swapping guest blogs next year...